2011 Flash Conference on Universal Design for Irish Education
The Flash Conference on Universal Design for Irish Education on November 4th, 2011 showcased 6 projects advancing Universal Design in education in Ireland. The research represents advances in embedding Universal Design into curriculum for design, engineering, architecture and Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
The projects to promote Universal Design in Irish education showed alignment with best practice in creativity, usability, accessibility and knowledge translation.
The projects represent CEUD's national and international collaborations with:
- Blancahardstown Institute of Technology
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Cambridge University, UK, Engineering Design Centre
- Irish Research Council for Science Engineering and Technology
- National Council for the Blind, Ireland
- National University Ireland, Maynooth
- Trinity College Dublin
- University at Buffalo, NY, USA
Flash Conference on Universal Design for Irish Education
Agenda 13:00 – 15:00
- 13:00 UD Curriculum for training ICT Professionals, D. Rice, CEUD. Poster (ppt). This recently published European Standard sets curriculum for CPD training
- 13:15 UD tools for the Need to Knowledge Model (NkT), J. Condron, DIT/UB, USA. Poster (ppt). This research is linking UD to the USA model for product development.
- 13:30 UD Product Design Curriculum for Engineering, S. Hermann, TCD. Poster (ppt). This research is preparing tools to support UD curriculum in engineering)
- 13:45 UD Rating Scale Development for Buildings, E. O’Shea, TCD. Poster (ppt). This research is setting evidence for rating the Universal Design of buildings
- 14:00 UD Module for 2nd Level Transition Year, I. Hosking, EDC, Cambridge. Poster (ppt). This project is piloting the “Designing our Tomorrow” module in Ireland
- 14:15 UD 3rd Level Module for Design and Engineering, D. Gordon, DIT/NUIM.
- (This project is preparing national curriculum on UD for 3rd Level in Ireland)
- 14:30 Q & A - Discussion, G. Craddock, Chief Officer, CEUD