Information for students
Competition information for Students
The Universal Design Grand Challenge 2020 is now open for applications. We invite design students, including those studying architecture, engineering, product and software development, to apply. The competition is open to students in their final 2 years of study, post graduates and recent graduates.
The competition application process is a great learning opportunity for all students. It challenges you to really examine how you can create designs that work for everyone in society. The more universal your design, the more people it works for and therefore the more successful it will be. Just completing the application will open your eyes to the value of Universal Design.
Finalists in the competition will receive expert pitch training in how to present your design.
Winners receive a cash prize, the coveted UDGC trophy, the title and the opportunity for media profile.
Past winners of this competition have gone on to win further awards and develop their design commercially.
How to Enter?
Register online at https://universaldesign.awardsplatform.com
Complete the application process by:
- Giving a brief description of your design idea.
- Explaining how the design / solution is used.
- Highlighting how the Principles of Universal Design are incorporated into your design (your design should feature at least 4 of the 7 Principles).
- Uploading supporting images, presentations or videos.
You can enter as a solo student or as part of student project design team. In your application, you must list a course tutor or school representative who knows your design and confirm the information in your application.
Applications for the 2020 competition must be complete by midnight on Friday 28th March. No applications will be accepted after this time.
What happens next?
- Applications for the 2020 competition open on 20th January and close at midnight on Friday 28th March.
- A panel of International Judges will review all of the applications. They will shortlist projects for the final in each of the 3 categories.
- The 9 finalists will be announced on 22nd April.
- Finalists will avail of expert pitch training, hosted by the Centre for Excellence in Universal Design, in early May.
- Finalists, accompanied by your family and college representative, will attend the Universal Design Grand Challenge National Final on Wednesday 21st May 2020 at The Radisson Blu Hotel, Golden Lane, Dublin 2.
- Finalists will pitch their designs to the adjudicators and a winner in each category will be announced. The winners of the “People’s Choice” and the Enterprise Ireland “Universal Design for Commercialisation Award” shall also be announced.