3rd June 2010
NDA annual Conference
Seminar-Universal Design in Legislation, Policy and Practice
Burlington Hotel, Upper Leeson Street, Dublin 4
On the 3rd June 2010, the Centre for Excellence in Universal Design,NDA had a seminar entitled 'Universal Design in Legislation, Policy and Practice'. At the Seminar we had speakers from Japan, Spain, Norway and America giving examples of how Univesal Design in Legislation is used in their countries and how it is used to transform public service delivery. Universal Design is the design of environments, products, services and ICT that can be accessed,used or understood by anyone regardless of age, size, ability or disability.
The ageNDA for the day was as follows
09:00-09:50am Opening Addresses
- Peter McKevitt. chair, National Disability Authority
- Ger Craddock, Chief Officer, Centre for Excellence in Universal Design An overview of Universal Design in Irish Legislation and policy
- Minister for State John Moloney T.D.
09:50-11.00am Plenary Session 1: International Perspectives - Europe
Chairperson: Eithne Fitzgerald, Head of Policy & Public Affairs, NDA
- Elin Roenningen, Senior Advisor in the Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion, Department for Family affairs and Equality."Universal design in the Norwegian Anti-discrimination and Accessibility act. The legal framework"(0.8MB)
- Juan Carlos Ramiro Iglesias, General Director (former) of Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Spain. "Spanish legislation and the actions of the government in relation to Universal Design"(0.1MB)
- Questions and answers
11.20am-01:00pm Plenary Session 2: International Perspectives - Standards and Innovation
- Elizabeth O'Ferall, Standards Officer, NSAI. "Standards and Innovation"(2.2MB)
- Satoshi Kose Professor. Dr., Professor of Graduate School of Design, Shizuoka University of Art and Culture. “Universal Design of the Built Environment toward a Highly Aged Society Japanese Experiences”(0.7MB)
- Peter Blanck , University Professor and chair of the Burton Blatt Institute at Syracuse University (BBI), and chairman of the board of directors for the new Global Universal Design Commission Inc. (GUDC)."Inclusion, Innovation, Livability and Economics" (0.1MB)
- Questions and answers
02:00-03:45pm Innovative Implementations of Universal Design - 3 Parallel workshops
Workshop 1: Universality through better eGovernment
Chairperson: Donal Rice, Senior Design Advisor, ICT, CEUD
Rapporteur:Donie O'Shea, Senior Policy Advisor, NDA
- Fiachra O’Marcaigh, AMAS. "Using a user-centred strategy to maximise impact online"(3.6KB)
- Claire Gilligan, Assistant Director,LGCSB "Non Principal Private Residence Online Payments Service - realising savings and efficiencies by moving to online channels"(0.6MB)
Workshop 2: Universal and Sustainable Urban Systems
Chairperson: Neil Murphy, Senior Design Built Environment Officer,CEUD
RapporteurRuth O'Reilly, Senior Standards Officer, NDA
- Satoshi Kose Dr., Professor of Graduate School of Design, Shizuoka University of Art and Culture, Japan " Universal Design of the Built Environment toward a Highly Aged Society: Japanese Experiences"7.1MB)
- Eoin O’Herlihy, O'Herlihy Access Consultants. "Towards Universal Design of the built environment in Ireland progress and challenges" (0.7MB)
Workshop 3: Universal Service Design in Local Government
Chairperson: James Hubbard, Senior Design, Products and Services Advisor, CEUD
RapporteurRosarie McCarthy,Dr.,Senior Policy Advisor, NDA
- Cristina Larraz Istúriz, Senior Architectural Advisor, National Reference Centre for Personal Autonomy and Assistive Technologies (CEAPAT) IMSERSO Ministry of Education and Social Policies, Spain."Experience on Universal Design: CEAPAT-Local Government"(5.8MB) li>
- Sean McDougall, MD of Stakeholder Design. "Case study of innovation in public services delivery"(1.7MB)
03:45-04.00pm Rapporteurs reports from workshops
4.00-4.30pm Closing Comments
Dr.Gerald Craddock,Chief Officer CEUD
International speaker bios
USA: Peter Blanck,Dr.,is University Professor and chairman of the Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University and Chairman of the Global Universal Design Commission
Dr. Blanck is University Professor at Syracuse University, which is the highest faculty rank granted to only eight prior individuals in the history of the University. He is Chairman of the Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University. He is Chairman of the Global Universal Design CommissionGUDC. GUDC which is a not-for-profit corporation established to develop Universal Design (UD) standards for buildings, products and services. GUDC is currently developing UD voluntary consensus standards for commercial buildings, which will expand access to buildings for all people, regardless of physical stature and varying abilities. The approved UD standards will guide corporations and government entities in the creation of barrier-free facilities, providing diverse users with access to commerce, public services, entertainment and employment opportunities.
Japan: Satoshi Kose,Dr.,Professor of Graduate School of Design,Shizuoka University of Art and Culture.
Dr Satoshi Kose is Professor of Graduate School of Design, Shizuoka University of Art and Culture graduated from the University of Tokyo in 1971. Before joining the university, he has been with the Building Research Institute of Japan, where he worked for years to develop dwelling design guidelines toward the ageing society in Japan, and became among the first awardees of the Ron Mace Design for the 21st Century Award in June 2000. He was also given salutation during the Include 2003 conference in London in March 2003. He has published many papers on designing for the ageing society and universal design, including a chapter in the Universal Design Handbook from McGraw Hill.
Norway: Elin Roenningen, Senior Advisor in the Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion, Department for Family Affairs and Equality
Elin Rønningen is the Senior Adviser, Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion, Norway. She graduated at the University of Oslo, Law Faculty in 1980. Since 2000 she has participated in development of new Anti-Discrimination legislation, including the Anti-Discrimination and Accessibility act. She also has experience from other ministries in fields of physical planning and building legislation.
Spain: Jual Carlos Ramiro Iglesias,Director General for the coordinaton of sectoral policies on Disability (Ministry of Social Policy and Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Health and Social Policy).
Juan Carlos Ramiro Iglesias is Director General for the coordination of sectoral policies on disability (Ministry of Social Policy and Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Health and Social Policy.) He is a Bachelor of Law and has a Masters in ICT. Prior to working as Director General of Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Spain he worked as adviser to the Secretary of State for Social Services, Families and Disability (Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs) was a project manager with the Research Department of Training and Employment in Fundosa Group (Fundación ONCE)